Saturday, October 19, 2013

Week 8: Amazing Augmented Reality

I never thought I'll say this, but I love augmented reality!

Having seen the video shown in class and having seen a group presentation on augmented reality (which totally blew my mind away, by the way) I was amazed by its abilities. A normal image can now trigger augmented reality. It has, literally come to life. The image can now speak for itself. In my opinion. no more boring exhibitions!




Talking about exhibitions, I went to Art Science Musuem the other day for the exhibitions which included Mummy's exhibition, National Geographic and Eames exhibition. Little did I know that on the fourth floor of the musuem, there was also an exhibition. This exhibition is usually held on the first Sunday of the month called the Sunday showcase. Admission is free, so if you have nothing to do, head down to the museum to check out interesting workshops and activities to do! I was lucky enough to be there because at that point, a student from NUS actually introduced me to Augmented Reality applications that was designed for history lessons for the secondary school students.

When I was in Secondary school, history lessons were mediocre. It was usually lecture based and there were little hands on activities to do. Secondary School students are lucky now because they can now use augmented reality to learn their history lessons. More hands on activities, I like! This idea was more for the secondary one students when they were learning about the founding of Singapore. I tried using the ipad for the augmeneted reality part and it really worked ! By the way, researches have found out that using Augmented Reality has helped to improve memory retention by up to 22%! In case you want the full article, click here.

Here's how it looks like: The Jackson Plan!



So anyway, much has been talked about augmented reality. I think this will be the future of learning in Singapore. Well actually, not just learning. I think augmented reality will change the lifestyle of Singaporeans if we ever decide to tap on this. Here's an example of shopping for clothes:



and here's an example for shopping for car:




Augmented reality will one day, become our future. It has already slowly creep in and do wonders for advertising (and I don't think it takes much either!) and I'm sure it will expand from now on.



Who know, probably in the future, kids will use augmented reality as toys?


Scary thought, actually.




Till then,
A.

1 comment: